Learning, Inspiring, Sharing
PDPM 101 - Introduction to the SNF PPS Patient-Driven Payment Model (PDPM)
Recorded On: 10/02/2018
How to Register in ahcancalED
Easy as 1, 2, 3 !
Go to the ahcancalED site at https://educate.ahcancal.org/and log in using the orange button in the upper left hand corner.
Use your usual user name and password that you would use for LTC Trend Tracker or the AHCA NCAL website.
Don’t have one or can’t remember?
Click the log in button and follow the directions found under the search button that reads-“If you need help retrieving your Username or Password, click here”.
*Please note* you must add your member facility name to your login
Once you are in and can see your name in the upper left hand corner, you are ready to go.
From the home page click on a category (Resources, Training, Webinars or Trending Now) For this demonstration, let’s try hovering over Webinars until upcoming webinars displays.
Under “upcoming webinars” go to a product in which you are interested. Click on the title.
You’ll be redirected to the site where you can register for the product. This allows you to view the overview, handouts or resources associated with that product.
Click the green “register” button.
Fill out the registration details and voila! The products are yours to use indefinitely and can be found in your dashboard.
FYI: after registering, you will be automatically notified when the recording of the webinar is ready.
Need further help? Email us at email@example.com
We’ll walk you through it.
This presentation provides an introductory overview of the new Medicare Part A Skilled Nursing Facility Prospective Payment System (SNF PPS) payment model that will be implemented on October, 1, 2019 (Fiscal Year 2020). Specifically, the current Resource Utilization Groups, version IV (RUG-IV) per-diem case-mix payment model, which is based on resident characteristics and therapy utilization, will be replaced by a Patient Driven Payment Model (PDPM), which is based solely on resident characteristics. This represents the most significant change in how SNFs are paid since the SNF PPS was first implemented in October 1998. This presentation describes the motivations for the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) to change the SNF PPS payment model, the basic design of the PDPM payment model, the specific patient assessment payment drivers and their impacts on payment rates, and the AHCA member support activities to help members prepare for PDPM implementation.
- The participant will be able to explain why PDPM is replacing the RUG-IV SNF PPS payment model on October 1, 2019
- The participant will be able to describe the key features of the PDPM payment model design including changes in assessments, payment components, per-diem rate tapering, interrupted stays, and concurrent and group therapy .
- The participant will be able to identify MDS item categories that determine each of the five case-mix-adjusted PDPM payment components.
- The participant will understand the impact of PDPM on revenues based on differences in resident characteristics and the variable PT, OT, and NTAS component per-diem payments as the length of stay increases.
- The participant will know the types of PDPM implementation member support activities and resources planned and where to find updates.
Daniel Ciolek, Associate Vice President, Therapy Advocacy, Government Relationsa
Mike Cheek, Sr. Vice President, Reimbursement Policy, Finance Policy & Legal Affairs