Considerations for Care and Services for LGBTQ+ Residents
The provision of care and services offered by nursing homes must be individualized and person-centered, and equally and universally applied to all residents including those who identify as transgender or gender diverse (TGD). Furthermore, as a condition of licensure, the nursing home must remain in compliance with federal, state, and local laws and professional standards, which includes requirements of nondiscrimination. The areas of consideration in this resource document provide nursing homes with suggestions for 1. Policies and procedures, 2. Resident rights, 3. Admitting and collection of gender identity data, 4. Staff education, 5. Resident education, and 6. Resident room placement and bathroom considerations. While these areas of consideration are limited to specific topics and are not all inclusive of areas a nursing home should consider when developing policies and procedures or best practices related to providing care and services for LGBTQ+ older adults, they do provide a framework for discussion and practice. All considerations should be used in conjunction with the inclusion of federal and state laws, legal counsel, and ethics committee feedback.
Registration is free to AHCA/NCAL Members
Follow the Instructions Below to Register:
- To avoid technical problems, use Google Chrome.
- Members will need to log in using their existing email and password first.
- Once you are logged in to the website you will be able to register by clicking the green register button at the top of the page.
- If you have forgotten your password click here.
- If you are new to the site, you can create an account here. Answer all fields on the create an account page- especially locating your company name. You can search by name or zip code. After creating an account, you will be able to register.
Email email@example.com if you need assistance.
© 2023 American Health Care Association. All rights reserved. Materials subject to this copyright may be photocopied or distributed for the purpose of nonprofit or educational advancement. The use, photocopying, and distribution for commercial purposes of any of these materials is expressly prohibited without the prior written permission of American Health Care Association.