All by Myself: Overcoming Social Isolation and Loneliness in Assisted Living
Includes a Live Web Event on 06/12/2024 at 2:00 PM (EDT)
Learning Objectives: At the conclusion of this presentation, participants will be able to:
- Describe the impact of the changing demographics in assisted living on quality of life and quality of care;
- Explain the increasing complexity of social and ethical considerations in matters concerning socialization, productivity, and therapeutic engagement; and
- Develop a culturally competent community prepared to meet the needs of a diverse population.
INTENDED AUDIENCE: Appropriate to all disciplines and positions
Social isolation and loneliness are serious yet largely unrecognized public health risks that affect significant numbers of disabled and older adults. Many of these adults are socially isolated or lonely in ways that puts their health at risk. Assisted living communities often represent a more desirable lifestyle over home care or other long-term care environments, insulating residents from the realities of dementia and more advanced physical dependency. While the community culture may be more satisfying, the independence associated with the assisted living lifestyle lends itself to diminished socialization and engagement. This discussion offers innovative ways to improve the social culture, while offering support for the independence and autonomy that is so vital to quality of life.
- Discussion on the changing demographics in assisted living and the effect on quality of life and quality of care;
- Analysis of the increasing complexity of social and ethical considerations in matters concerning social groups and cultural integration; and
- Strategies for creating an environment that supports a quality existence.
COST: $25 AHCA/NCAL Member
If you are not able to attend live, the recording will be provided to you. A certificate of attendance will be available after webinar.
Receive $10 off registration fee when purchasing four webinars. All webinars must be in your cart during the checkout process in order to receive discount.
Additional webinars are:
- Caring for a New Generation in Assisted Living - April 17th at 2 pm ET
- Love Your Neighbor: Preventing Resident-to-Resident Aggression - August 14th at 2 pm ET
- Metamorphosis: Leadership in a Transformative Culture - October 16th at 2 pm ET