Caring for a New Generation in Assisted Living
Includes a Live Web Event on 04/17/2024 at 2:00 PM (EDT)
OBJECTIVES: At the conclusion of this training, participants will be able to:
- Explain the increasing complexity and cultural influence on social and ethical considerations in matters concerning behavioral health, sexual expression, and substance use in assisted living communities;
- Describe the importance of understanding the symptoms and challenges associated with a diagnosis of Dementia, PTSD, Mental Disorder, or Substance Use Disorder; and
- Develop a well-trained, culturally competent, trauma-informed staff prepared to meet the needs of an increasingly diverse population.
INTENDED AUDIENCE: Appropriate to all disciplines and positions
The contemporary long-term care community is challenged to address a broad range of emerging clinical and psychosocial considerations, as the next generation of resident is far more complex. In the wake of the COVID-19 Pandemic, many older adults report feelings of depression and anxiety, turning to substance use, and thoughts of suicide. The numbers of people impacted by dementia continues at epidemic rates, further complicating the contemporary adult care community’s ability to create an environment that is satisfying to an increasingly diverse population.
Understanding the symptoms of illness and the psychosocial manifestations of trauma are two critical elements to creating a livable environment. This discussion explores the clinical and social influences to be considered in the assessment of and response to the behavioral health needs of the community. Accommodating the needs of the next generation requires an understanding of today’s customer – far more independent, outspoken and likely to march to the beat of their own drummer. Strategies for addressing issues relative to dementia and mental health, social conflicts/bullying/aggression, substance abuse, and related concerns are a focus of this conversation.
COST: $25 AHCA/NCAL Member
If you are not able to attend live, the recording will be provided to you. A certificate of attendance will be available after webinar.
Receive $10 off registration fee when purchasing four webinars. All webinars must be in your cart during the checkout process in order to receive discount.
Additional webinars are:
- All by Myself: Overcoming Social Isolation and Loneliness in Assisted Living - June 12th at 2 pm ET
- Love Your Neighbor: Preventing Resident-to-Resident Aggression - August 14th at 2 pm ET
- Metamorphosis: Leadership in a Transformative Culture - October 16th at 2 pm ET